Saturday, August 04, 2012

(above image taken at Girard Park, Lafayette, Louisiana, July, 2012)




The words fungus and soil have been simmering in my head for a while now. I've read that funguses play an essential role in the health of earth, that they support many necessary contributors to rich loam such as insects and worms.

The soil in many parts of Austin, dry, hard, powdery, has seemed so depleted of life, and I'm seeing the same phenomenon here in Lafayette, Louisiana which also has suffered from severe, lengthy drought and other serious factors. I've wondered how one could help hasten the restoration of the soil.

So when I was driving down the road the other day, and saw a sign that read 'mushroom compost', I turned right into the parking lot to learn more. The fellow at the desk took me out back to see what mushroom compost looks like, and permitted me to take a picture. I held a clump of the dark, crumbly matter and felt its weight. I don't know that mushroom compost can save the day, but I suspect it could be of help, one way to reintroduce fungal growth to lifeless dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment